Monday, March 23, 2015

feminist reading club: mansplaining



Yesterday my friend Kat and I hosted our first ever Feminist Reading Club. We started the group because we spend 90% of our time together discussing feminism and we knew a lot of our friends were doing the same, so we thought we'd bring everyone together to a safe, accepting space where we can all share our ideas and be challenged.

This month's theme was 'mansplaining', specifically as explored in Rebecca Solnit's essay 'Men Explain Things to Me'. Going into it I thought I was already quite familiar with the topic, but I got so much out of our discussion - everyone had brilliant points and the varying skill sets and personal histories brought lots of great new ideas (new to me!) to the topic. My brain was buzzing!

We're keeping it small and women-only for now, because that feels most conducive to open, unfiltered discussion, but if you'd maybe like to join the next one (it's monthly), send me a message. We don't really know what we're doing, so we're just going with what feels right and figuring things out as we go along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment